NIAW
This Week is National Infertility Awareness Week. I have really been debating on whether I should post something about it or not, but after reading my sister-in-laws post I decided to. I don't think all of you know that Kyle and I have been trying to have a baby since August of last year, well we have. At first we just knew it was the right time, I still felt like I was so young and wasn't sure why it was right already, but it was. After many months of trying and month after month getting dissapointed I really started yearning for a child. I didn't understand why I needed to try for a child if it wasn't going to happen. It has been harder on me than I often like to admit. I have been having some strange stomach pain and so a few people suggested that I may have a cyst. For some reason I thought that it was all in my head and that nothing was wrong, but Kyle was really worried and made me go get it checked out. When the doctor came in after looking at my ultrasound she pointed out the cyst, but said that that is not what we needed to worry about. I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (better known as PCOS). It is a very common condition that one in every ten women have and it is the #1 cause of infertility in the US. I don't think I have ever felt so sad about something in my life. Luckily I have a sister-in-law who also has it, she was able to have twins in December after four years of trying. I think that if I hadn't of known her this would have been a lot harder for me to take. Even though I am surrounded by people who are struggling or have struggled with infertility I never really thought about it happening to me. I am now so much more aware and sensitive others having infertility problems. PCOS is different for every person, some may just have to try for a long time, some have to use fertility pills or invitro, some may never get pregnant. I think my PCOS is in the middle, not to severe and not non exsistant. I am just going to go with the flow, try not to stress about it and see how my doctor can help us. I feel lucky and know that the reason we were supposed to start trying when we did is so we could find this out sooner.
I am not writing this post for anyone to feel sorry for me, or so that you won't talk to me about your babies or pregnancies. I just needed to get it out there. Please don't feel bad for Kyle and I, we have really been blessed in so many ways and we look foward to expanding our family with children. I often joke that if it is going to be hard to get pregnant then I want two sets of twins so that we can be done faster! I decided that if it is going to take us longer than we thought then it will just make Kyle and I closer and give us time to make a better life for our children.
3 comments:
Andrea, this was a beautiful post and it touched me. Of course, I had no idea what you guys have been through with this and it was a surprise. I am uplifted and feel of your positive attitude and faith and feel that Heavenly Father is aware of you--just like you mentioned about how you found out about the PSO (oh no...I forgot the letters...sorry). I didn't know that was that common in the U.S and was the leading cause of infertility. Thanks for making me more aware of this. And on a different note, congratulations about Logan!! I am so happy for Kyle and for you and I hope you get the bank job.
Love you guys lots.
Becky
Thank you for sharing this deeply personal post! I can sympathize with the PCOS as I am also a "1 in 10" girl! I am glad to hear that you are comfortable/happy with your doctor as a good doctor-patient relationship is KEY for fertility struggles.
You are in my thoughts & prayers! (and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a job in Logan to work out soon!!!)
Andrea,
It is so hard to believe your all grown up! I remember church activies. Anyways Congrats on your marriage you too look great together. I am so sorry to hear about this things happen for a reason and the lord has a plan for you two. I have heard many stories of women who were unable to have children then after adoption they were able to get pregnant. Have faith the time will come and you too will be blessed with children. You are in our prayers.
Love,
Nalani
Post a Comment