Monday, July 18, 2011

Thoughts on adulthood

I got married young... as in I was engaged less than six months out of high school. When people saw my ring when I was engaged they first asked when I was getting married and second how old I was. I quickly told them that I would be 19 WHEN I get married. I didn't feel too young to be getting married, but I knew people thought  I was. I also never imagined myself getting married so young. I always thought it would be more around 23, but when it happens it happens.
When we started trying to get pregnant the first few people we talked to about it had opinions to share. A lot of them sounded like this "You're just so young and you've been married just over  a year." I had to give it to them. Yes, I was just 20 and it still boggled my mind a little that I could have a baby within 2 years of high school. But we knew it was the right time.

I feel like I really let what people think affect what I thought about my situations. When getting married I got insecure telling people because I didn't want the comments. When I turned 21 I was so excited that I could feel normal for being married. We didn't tell anyone but close family about trying to have kids for a year because I didn't want the lectures. Looking back I think it's kinda sad that I let myself be like that and that others would be so judgmental.

The whole purpose of this post is that today I realized that I finally feel like an adult. Not only feel like one, but get recognized as one. I actually forget that I'm only 22 sometimes, in fact when I tell people they are usually surprised. I mingle with adults anywhere from 20-40 and feel like I fit in most places. If I got pregnant this month I would not even think of shying away from telling people I would be proud to tell anyone. So happy day!

1 comment:

Amy said...

It seems like anyone and everyone has an opinion or advice to offer to young couples, whether they want to hear it or not.
P.S.
I fully support your efforts to get pregnant!